Each year, OSHA publicizes a list of the most common violations that they write citations for when inspecting employers’ premises. For 2015, the list includes:
1. Fall Protection – 6,721 violations
2. Hazard Communication – 5,192 violations
3. Scaffolding – 4,295 violations
4. Respiratory Protection – 3,305 violations
5. Lockout/Tagout – 3,002 violations
6. Powered Industrial Trucks – 2,760 violations
7. Ladders – 2,489 violations
8. Electrical – Wiring Methods – 2,404 violations
9. Machine Guarding – 2,295 violations
10. Electrical – General Requirements – 1,973 violations
These are all citations that can be reduced or prevented with the proper controls in place.
APEI offers a variety of tools to help identify and eliminate these violations. We offer monthly webinars regarding safety issues and can even do "onsite" inspections of your buildings. Our members also have access to free online training provided by SafeSchools and TargetSolutions who offer over 900 courses including safety topics. You can also consult your Loss Control Manual for instructions on how to maintain a safe workplace.
Contact Cole Cummins, your Loss Control Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to maintain a safe workplace and reduce these OSHA violations.